Trusting others


It's a pessimistic outlook. Perhaps it's also a simple, individualistic and somewhat paranoid outlook. The reverse might be "trust everyone", which is almost as exaggerated. Sadly, even though most people perform better in a trusting, open environment, most social contexts have varying degrees of distrust and you can expect a great deal of backstabbing, sabotage, gossip and power struggles in nearly every power-hierarchy-based structure/organisation, and oftentimes even in those contexts in which there's theoretically no such hierarchy.

Here's my own perspective:

"Trust anyone to be what they are, according to their nature"

This might mean that you'd have to get an idea about how and what people are, on a case-to-case basis. This is both time consuming and an effort on your part. If you are good at it, you will trust people and find them predictable in their behaviour and motivation. You will be able to trust criminals to be what they are, lawyers to be what they are etc ..If you fail to know people and understand them, once your "trust' is cheated, it is entirely your blame and your problem, not theirs..you should've known better.

Exceptions aside, most people are relatively linear and simplistic in what motivates them, in what they desire and in what they aspire to. Study them carefully and you can know who and how to be in order to achieve what you want. Study them even more and you can always tell where or what they'll go for and how. Study how they want and you can have them want to help you. There's so many ways in which people being people works to your advantage. Things are as they are. (Abridged version : "Things are"). Change is apparent.

With people that are close to you, however, be mindful.

All my friends have flaws, some even character flaws. It doesn't change my love for my friends, nor my trust. I know who they are and how they are and I've made my decision and I am sticking to it.  I still trust my friends to be who they are, good and bad. And I'm fine with the bad, I'm happy with the bad. Their bad reflects my bad, compliments my bad, and offers me a chance to grow. So I never truly feel betrayed by whatever is the worst a closed-one can do to me. I just feel I am offered a splendid opportunity to grow.

In a sense, I can say I trust everyone. But of course this is not the same and kind of trust we give to God.

#Q-experience_exhortor

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Hlonela Mzilikazi

Self trust is good

Meaning behind "Trust no one"